Ability to open the squelch of CTCSS or DCS is enabled??

VK3KYY

Re: Ability to open the squelch of CTCSS or DCS is enabled??

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:15 am

W9YA wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:32 pm
Question: Would a long press on the Blue_Button work ???? (I currently have the latest NA7Q software loaded unto my GD77 and that seems to be un-used.)

es vy 73 om de "baab" w9ya
We may be able to use the Blue button (aka SK2) for this.

It has another function if pressed when there is an incoming DMR signal on a different TG to the one the radio is already set to.
So there may be some conflict with that.

But perhaps we can change the function that sets the Tx TG to the currently received TG to only happen if you do a short press and release, whereas holding down the button may be able to used for "monitor mode"

Also, if the radio is in DMR mode, and its not a DMR signal probably the radio would need to be switched to FM mode, which has a different audio path, i.e the Rx audio needs to be routed to the speaker rather than the DMR chip.

KC7RBW

Post by KC7RBW » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:24 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:15 am
We may be able to use the Blue button (aka SK2) for this.

It has another function if pressed when there is an incoming DMR signal on a different TG to the one the radio is already set to.
So there may be some conflict with that.

But perhaps we can change the function that sets the Tx TG to the currently received TG to only happen if you do a short press and release, whereas holding down the button may be able to used for "monitor mode"

Also, if the radio is in DMR mode, and its not a DMR signal probably the radio would need to be switched to FM mode, which has a different audio path, i.e the Rx audio needs to be routed to the speaker rather than the DMR chip.
This seems pretty reasonable to me, and we wouldn't have to implement all of these ideas at once. Could start with just letting SK2 do this in analog mode only, then make it do something reasonable in digital mode later.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:32 am

KC7RBW wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:24 am
This seems pretty reasonable to me, and we wouldn't have to implement all of these ideas at once. Could start with just letting SK2 do this in analog mode only, then make it do something reasonable in digital mode later.
I think the question will be whether we can overload SK2 to do this without any problems to the existing UI. The same applies with any button or key, because if the function is more of a "monitor mode", on both FM and eventually on DMR, then this rules out the use of any of the keypad keys, as on either FM or DMR all of the keys already have an assignment, and whatever input method is chosen, it should be the same on FM and DMR otherwise the UI is going to get soooo complicated that hardly anyone will be able to operate the radio correctly.

The UI is already probably one of the most complex of any HT, mainly because of the huge range of functionality available - probably far more than any similar commercial HT, so squeezing in extra functionality onto any of the buttons is going to be tricky.

BTW.
I don't think disabling any DMR filtering would be difficult, but swapping modes would probably be more difficult to implement and test.

KC7RBW

Post by KC7RBW » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:00 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:32 am
The UI is already probably one of the most complex of any HT, mainly because of the huge range of functionality available - probably far more than any similar commercial HT, so squeezing in extra functionality onto any of the buttons is going to be tricky.
A major difference between OpenGD77 and commercial firmware (at least in DMR) is that commercial firmwares hide a ton of functionality behind customizable button configuration. I've got my AnyTone configured so that it works very similarly to OpenGD77, but to get there I had to change many of the buttons from their default functionality.

I'm not sure if customizable buttons would be a good thing for OpenGD77, but it would allow development of features like this to go forward without worrying about how it impacts the default UI.
VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:32 am
I don't think disabling any DMR filtering would be difficult, but swapping modes would probably be more difficult to implement and test.
Agreed.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:16 am

KC7RBW wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:00 am
I'm not sure if customizable buttons would be a good thing for OpenGD77, but it would allow development of features like this to go forward without worrying about how it impacts the default UI.
I have a pending PR from Alex DG4LEX which allows user re-configuration of the keypad buttons, however I've not merged it into the development version because it opens a big can of worms with the button functions, and also there is no integration into the CPS.

Its great for anyone who wants that level of complication, but there are a large number of users, for whom reconfigurable buttons could potentially make the radio hard to understand.

So its a delicate balancing act when thinking about making any changes to the functionality and the UI, where I often have to err on the side of caution.

vk7js

Post by vk7js » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:55 am

Hi All,

I implemented this in my own branch and it is easy to do. As already pointed out, as amateurs, we should check frequency clearance. I suggest putting this on long hold of orange since sk2 needs to be held down for other functions such as changing power or mode. I had it on hash in my own branch as I only use it on analog but Roger rightly pointed out it might be useful in DMR mode also. I save off the current code, set squelch to CODEPLUG_MIN_VARIABLE_SQUELCH, and then when the button is released, reset the squelch and code to their former values.

W9YA

Post by W9YA » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:21 am

vk7js wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:55 am
Hi All,

I implemented this in my own branch and it is easy to do. As already pointed out, as amateurs, we should check frequency clearance. I suggest putting this on long hold of orange since sk2 needs to be held down for other functions such as changing power or mode. I had it on hash in my own branch as I only use it on analog but Roger rightly pointed out it might be useful in DMR mode also. I save off the current code, set squelch to CODEPLUG_MIN_VARIABLE_SQUELCH, and then when the button is released, reset the squelch and code to their former values.
Now that I think about it some more, ya'all are right:

- SK1 and SK2 are the wrong place to do this.
- This should be available in ANY mode.
- ALL filtering should be disabled, including tone and digital coded squelch.
- The orange button/long press may well be a great place to do this !

es vy 73 om's de "baab" w9ya

P.S... I am currently running the NA7Q "branch" of firmware on both my GD77 and my DM1801, and I am not sure if this is just on his "branch";
- One short press of the orange button brings up the quick-menu starting with "Scan"..... And another press starts "Scan". (An excellent feature BTW !)

- NOTE: A long press of the orange button starts scan immediately !.... So there is potential for a conflict if the long orange button press was intentional.
- NOTE2: HOWEVER, reading his user notes suggests that this is UN-intentional, and therefore available for use as "monitor-frequency-no-squelch".

** NA7Q's user notes are here:
http://opengd77.com/viewtopic.php?f=15& ... a06e61087e

vk7js

Post by vk7js » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:31 am

I just looked at the firmware source and it looks like long hold on orange is used on the gd77s but is free on the GD77. I hope you will still consider it for the gd77 and dm1801/rd5r since the sGD77S is limited anyway.

vk7js

Post by vk7js » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:54 am

I have now implemented this in my own local branch on a long press of the orange button in both channel and VFO modes for both FM and DMR modes. It is of course up to Roger if and when he decides to pull it. Currently he has decided not to do it. Anyone is free to try it.
Joe

NA7Q

Post by NA7Q » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:05 pm

This is great! I think I will try to add this to my builds soon.