TX on FRS frequencies?

VE3RVQ

TX on FRS frequencies?

Post by VE3RVQ » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:11 am

I flashed the latest version of OpenGD77 on my GD77S radio and discovered that I could no longer transmit on FRS frequencies as I had been able to do using the stock radioddity firmware. Question: is there a way to reenable this functionality using OpenGD77 for the GD77S? I realize the gray area this is given the regs around FRS equipment being power limited and having to have a non-removable antenna. I am blind and when I take my children to the park, they have FRS radios so they can check in with me without my having to yell to see where they are every 5 minutes. I'd rather not have to bring a separate FRS radio when my DMR HT can easily transmit on FRS frequencies at less than 1 wat.

VK3KYY

Re: TX on FRS frequencies?

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:54 am

What are FRS fequencies ?

But whatever they are. You probably need to disable band limits.

Menu->Options->Band limits-> Off

VE3RVQ

Post by VE3RVQ » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:50 pm

Sorry: I forgot the world audience of this forum while posting late last night: FRS is "family radio service", the north american equivalent of PMR. Does the OpenGd77 firmware running on the radioddity GD77S radio provide a menu where I can disable band limits like you describe? I couldn't find much info on how to use the GD77S version of the FW as that radio does not have a screen and uses its native voice prompts.

kd2lh

Post by kd2lh » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:06 pm

FRS is a license free, FM only (no DMR) low power radio service for personal usage in the USA.

It requires the use of type accepted equipment. Once you've replaced the firmware, you've lost any type acceptance that the hardware may have been granted for this service by the FCC.

I'd recommend use of OpenGD77 ONLY on amateur bands and under the terms of an amateur radio license.

VE3RVQ

Post by VE3RVQ » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:21 pm

I agree with you completely and am cognizant of the regulations around FRS in both the US and Canada and am operating within the law with respect to broadcast power. But can the band limits be removed from the GD77S radio as they are with the GD77? Blind accessible walkie talkies don't really exist for the FRS / GMRS spectrum.

N1KY

Post by N1KY » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:10 pm

If you go into the menu and then go to Options is Band Limits in the list?

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:33 pm

N1KY wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:10 pm
If you go into the menu and then go to Options is Band Limits in the list?
yes

VE3RVQ

Post by VE3RVQ » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:03 am

I'm on the GD77S, not the GD77, how do I envoke the menu on this radio? I thought all I could do was hold down the orange button on the top to change power level and zone on this radio

VE3RVQ

Post by VE3RVQ » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:35 am

Alrightie: I've read the user guide from end to end: the OpenGD77 firmware works on the Radioddity GD77S, but the radio once I flashed it to OpenGD77 latest firmware version for that radio does not seem to have a menu as the other supported radios do. Can anyone tell me whether I'm missing something? Or, how I can disable the band limits as per above posts in this topic or elsewhere? I have a regular GD77 on order with Radioddity, but was hoping to be able to get a start with my existing GD77S.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:23 am

Hi,
VE3RVQ wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:35 am
Alrightie: I've read the user guide from end to end: the OpenGD77 firmware works on the Radioddity GD77S, but the radio once I flashed it to OpenGD77 latest firmware version for that radio does not seem to have a menu as the other supported radios do. Can anyone tell me whether I'm missing something? Or, how I can disable the band limits as per above posts in this topic or elsewhere? I have a regular GD77 on order with Radioddity, but was hoping to be able to get a start with my existing GD77S.
You're right, there is no accessible setting to change the band limits on the 77S yet.
At the moment, the only way is to compile a specific firmware version where the band limits are off by default.
I will make this setting available.

Cheers.
---
Daniel.