Ability to open the squelch of CTCSS or DCS is enabled??

VK3KYY

Ability to open the squelch of CTCSS or DCS is enabled??

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:15 am

I've had some requests for the ability to open the squelch even if CTCSS or DCS is enabled.

I've personally discussed this on the forum before, and was told by people who know more about this than I do, that it should not be possible to open the squelch if CTCSS or DCS are enabled, as these functions effectively replace the normal squelch.

So, if this sort of function was added, it would need to actually turn off the CTCSS and DCS as well as set the squelch level to zero.

We'd also need to somehow show that this composite mode was enabled on the display, and potentially also announce it on the voice prompts, and also have a user interface for it.

All of this seems very complicated, and I'm struggling to see a use-case for this on its own.

YT5HOK

Re: Ability to open the squelch of CTCSS or DCS is enabled??

Post by YT5HOK » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:46 am

I agree with you, there is no foreseeable use-case.

If I have interference and turn on CTCSS/DCS, it's cause I need it, I don't wanna turn it off. And if I wanna check if interference is gone, I'll just copy channel to VFO. Even later, I'll probably just leave CTCSS/DCS activated on mentioned channel, just to not think of possible interference.

You are smart guy and you are aware of it, but I'll just mention that you don't have to accept some random idea, which only few would use, just to develop for GD-77. Same as with SFR, too much effort for small user base.

I guess I can freely speak for most of, if not all users here, when I say that we are thankful beyond words for making this radio what it is now.

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:18 am

I can see why it may be being requested.

Most commercial radios have a ‘monitor’ button that opens the squelch while pressed. That works regardless of CTCSS setting. It’s main use is for shared channels where different users have different CTCSS tones. On those systems the user is expected to press the button to listen for activity before transmitting. It could be argued it is something amateurs should also do, check the frequency is clear before transmitting.

It would be fairly easy to implement, just enable the audio amp when the button is pressed. However it does require a dedicated button or combination of buttons which are in short supply on the GD77.

Colin.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:24 am

G4EML wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:18 am
It would be fairly easy to implement, just enable the audio amp when the button is pressed.
I'm not sure if the AT1846S will be outputting any audio if CTCSS or DCS is enabled when there is no CTCSS or DCS tone on the signal.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:09 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:24 am
G4EML wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:18 am
It would be fairly easy to implement, just enable the audio amp when the button is pressed.
I'm not sure if the AT1846S will be outputting any audio if CTCSS or DCS is enabled when there is no CTCSS or DCS tone on the signal.
BTW.

I recall suggesting that turning the squelch down to zero should open the squelch regardless of whether CTCSS was enabled, but this was rejected.
I'm not sure how this differs from that functionality.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:34 am

Hi,

I've made some tests, and if any CSS is set, setting Squelch value to CODEPLUG_MIN_VARIABLE_SQUELCH keep it silent.
Also, I think mapping it to SK2 is not a good idea (I've made some tests here), as SK2 permits a lot of things, like switching Zone, and in this case it makes quite difficult to handle CSS setting restoration on button release.
Maybe longdown SK1 (alone) is better.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:48 am

SK1 is used by the Voice prompts and also for reverse repeater, so I don't know if overloading that button would be practical.

I'm still unsure about why just reducing the squelch to zero could not be used to override the CTCSS etc, which is what I proposed some time ago, but was told was not a good idea.

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:12 pm

Reducing the squelch to zero would work but would be ‘non standard’ compared to most other radios. It would also be more fiddly to use if all that was wanted was to quickly check for activity.

The project has probably got to the point where it is not possible to add extra features like this without impacting existing ones. There is only so much that can be achieved with a limited number of buttons.

W9YA

Post by W9YA » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:32 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:48 am
SK1 is used by the Voice prompts and also for reverse repeater, so I don't know if overloading that button would be practical.

I'm still unsure about why just reducing the squelch to zero could not be used to override the CTCSS etc, which is what I proposed some time ago, but was told was not a good idea.
Being able to have some QUICK way to listen to a channel/frequency is a GREAT idea. And it is useful IF we are talking about what is usually called "monitor-mode"; which is to say, NO FILTERING of ANY kind along with NO squelch.

As ham radio operators we are tasked with being able to do this, and it can help in many situations v/v weak signals (and other stuff too...hi hi).

SO.... I am in the category of those that would like to see this ability.

Question: Would a long press on the Blue_Button work ???? (I currently have the latest NA7Q software loaded unto my GD77 and that seems to be un-used.)

es vy 73 om de "baab" w9ya

Zl1XE

Post by Zl1XE » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:52 am

can't you get that by disabling ctss and dcs so you can hear everything on the frequency (assuming None is your filter and your current TG List is empty).
(I might not have that quite right but I hope you get the idea - turn off all filtering and hear everything.)