Important question

VA3 NDP

Re: Important question

Post by VA3 NDP » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:53 am

Read about them on the forums while I was reading everything I could find to try and educate myself. It was was also discussed in length in one of the forums as well.

VA3 NDP

Post by VA3 NDP » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:01 pm

I got it all programmed and it will not go back into monitor mode after I did it once it won’t go back now. The filters just keep defaulting to ON no matter what I do. I long press the sk2 and it stays on while I’m pushing down but it’s gone when I release? Help please.

VA3 NDP

Post by VA3 NDP » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:02 am

I figured it out. I was changing the menu while it was scanning and that’s a NO go.
Thanks

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:28 am

"Monitor mode" if a temporary function which changes a whole bunch of filters when the press and hold SK2

if you want to permanently listen on both TS , then you need to set the TS filtering to "off" .
On the RD-5R because the Orange buttons primary function is MR/VFO, you have to press and hold it to get to the Quick menu, then turn of the TS filtering and also if you are using FM turn off the CTCSS filtering.

Do NOT turn off the CC filtering, as although "Monitor mode' does turn off CC filtering. The Colour Code is a fundamental part of the DMR data, and we have to use an unstable method to attempt to receive the data no matter what CC its on; hence this is generally only used during Monitor mode
(Albeit, CC filtering can be disabled permanently, but causes side effects, like taking a long time to lock onto a DMR signal)

Monitor mode, also automatically switches from DMR to FM if no DMR signal is detected, but this functionality is not available except via Monitor mode, as in normal operation you would not want the radio constantly switching to FM on a DMR channel just because no DMR signal was detected on that channel.
And Monitor mode also opens the FM squelch if there doesn't appear to be any signal at all, but again, you would not want the radio to do this in normal operation

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:08 am