DTMF Contacts

vk2fmet

DTMF Contacts

Post by vk2fmet » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:57 am

Wow - thanks for the DTMF Contact list - it works great. I use it to navigate my AllStar node.
One Q - I have noticed that the receive volume - i.e. the column control actually controls the Tx DTMF tone call.
I was turning the vol down because I didn't want to hear the tones but notice that when I do the microHub doesn't hear the call/tones.

Is this by design? Or is there a way to play the tone Tx at a fixed volume and not have the volume control knob control the TX volume?

Alan

ok1pt

Re: DTMF Contacts

Post by ok1pt » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:32 pm

vk2fmet wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:57 am

Is this by design? Or is there a way to play the tone Tx at a fixed volume and not have the volume control knob control the TX volume?

Alan
Hi Alan!
Which radio are you using ? I just tested it on GD-77 and the DTMF deviation is not depending on the Rx volume knob setting. Maybe a different model behaves differently ? If yes, it's a bug and it requires a correction, but targeted to that particular model only.
With regards, & 73,
Pavel

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:47 pm

Which radio, firmware and CPS are you using?

There is no DTMF volume control , only a Beep volume control which is a completely different function

vk2fmet

Post by vk2fmet » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:56 pm

I'm using GD-77
At first I thought it was my Node radio or AllStar not responding.
But I think it fails to dial (ie. not be received correctly and fail) if I move the vol knob while it dials especially when min vol.
But I've just tried again and when there's no vol at all it obeys the tone dials
So must have been my imagination or
Alan

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:36 pm

Just a thought.... are we muting the microphone input while generating DTMF Tones?
If not then that might explain why the volume control has an unexpected effect.

ok1pt

Post by ok1pt » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:00 am

G4EML wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:36 pm
Just a thought.... are we muting the microphone input while generating DTMF Tones?
If not then that might explain why the volume control has an unexpected effect.
Yes we are. The modulator has mux on its input and we switch it between DTMF sender for the tones and "nothing" for the pauses. Just verified it practically - I blowed to the mike while transmitting DTMF contact and the transmission was clear, no interference with tone signals.
With regards & 73,
Pavel

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:02 am

vk2fmet wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:57 am
Wow - thanks for the DTMF Contact list - it works great. I use it to navigate my AllStar node.
One Q - I have noticed that the receive volume - i.e. the column control actually controls the Tx DTMF tone call.
I was turning the vol down because I didn't want to hear the tones but notice that when I do the microHub doesn't hear the call/tones.

Alan
Please explain what you mean by "receive volume" control ?

Do you mean the analogue volume control knob on the top of the radio? This is purely an analog control in series with the audio amplifier input, and is not under software control