VFO change digital to analog from keypad?

wa2n

VFO change digital to analog from keypad?

Post by wa2n » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:58 am

On my GD77 with OpenGD77 fw dated 3/21/2021 I have VFO A preset to digital and VFO B preset to analog via the CPS software. I am able to change from VFO A to B and vice versa via the orange button and can directly entering frequency on the keypad, but I can't find how to change from analog to digital or vice versa on either VFO. Is this possible? Not a big deal if not, but I thought I might have missed how to do it in the online manual.

73's Wayne WA2N

YL3IM

Re: VFO change digital to analog from keypad?

Post by YL3IM » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:00 am

[Fn] + [*]

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:16 am

@wa2n

I just checked the User Guide and the information was in the guide

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... FM-and-DMR

However there was a problem with the heading and index to the heading, both of which were about changing from Channel to VFO, which was incorrect.

So I've now fixed the heading and index

wa2n

Post by wa2n » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:58 pm

Thank you for the info on changing the VFO mode. It worked of course. I did read the whole manual, but couldn't find it later when I needed to change the mode. I see it's on the OpenGD77 cheatsheet now too, missed that too.

BTW, thanks for writing this firmware Roger. I was ready to return the radio after using the stock firmware. Turns out my "cheap initial DMR radio" choice from Amazon was a lucky first guess, OpenDMR77 works great and is MUCH more intuitive. I've written a bunch of C# myself over time as an EE and completely underderstand the level of effort you've put in. Again, thank you.

BTW, saw you're in Melbourne. I co-oped for my EE degree in Deepdene at Locus Systems Engineering in the mid 80's working for a brilliant guy named Frank Hartley. His business was a consulting firm with just a couple engineers. His 15 minutes of fame before I got there was refurbishing the Flinders Station mechanical clock so I was told. We lived in Mt. Waverly - had a great 6 months in your wonderful country. I miss it.

73's,
Wayne

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:16 pm

Hi Wayne

Yes. The firmware has taken a substantial amount of effort, spanning several years.

The firmware was originally started by Kai DG4KLU, who spent months just to crack the firmware encyption which then allowed this firmware to be loaded. However Kai stopped the initial development in July 2019, when only DMR Tier 1 was functional

I have developed and curated the project since then, with the help of serval other developers mainly Daniel F1RMB, and contributions from technical experts like Colin G4ELM.
I also reverse engineered the official CPS, which fortunately was written in C# and also there are tools that allow protected C# applications to decompiled, albeit into a form that has 1,000 compile errors which manually need to be fixed etc.

The firmware project would also have been much more difficult without work done in 2017 and 2018 by Jason VK7ZJA to reverse engineer the calibration data format, and without the help of people who have manged to source schematics and datasheets which not distributed by the manufacturers.

Plus the ongoing help of the translators into 13 languages.

Amusingly I constantly get requests to port the firmware to other radios, but people don't appreciate that this firmware has actually taken over 3 years to develop to this level or operation.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:47 pm

Ionosphere wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:01 pm
Do you have a link to that official CPS software?
I've no idea what version of official cps reverse engineered, as it was about 2 years ago that I did the reverse enginnering

The latest cps is available on Radioddity's site, and is likely to be virtually idential to the version I used.

I think they've done a few bug fixes in the last 2 years. The original developer in China contacted me to alert me about one bug he had fixed in the official firmware after I did my reverse engineering, so that I could do my own bug fix.
But it was that long ago, I can't remember what the bug was, and from what I recall it was trivial.

Reverse engineering the official CPS to a point it will compile again took ages for me, because when I tore their's apart, it didnt go back together without reporting thousands of errors.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:20 am

Ionosphere wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:53 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:47 pm
Reverse engineering the official CPS to a point it will compile again took ages for me, because when I tore their's apart, it didnt go back together without reporting thousands of errors.
I've decompiled the latest version 3.1.9 of the software. The structure of the program seems to be reconstructed successfully, but all class/file/method names look scrambled. Was it like this for you as well?
Yes.

The exe is protected from decompilation because they run it through something to scramble all the names

I don't think it will compile even if you use the scambled names

Most likely they have increased the scrambling system after I original did this, as one of the devs who wrote the CPS contacted me via GitHub and asked me how I managed to decompile and then rebuild

BTW.

AFIK, decompiling and the recompiling doesn't entitle the code to be published as GPL.
No matter how you got hold of the code, the license remains with the original author, hence I never attached a GPL license to my repo

Also, I've checked GitHub's terms and conditions; and keeping decompiled / recompiled stuff on their system looks like its in breach of their Terms and Conditions, hence why I don't store the CPS on Github any more.