Zone Change Channel Retention

K6DSA

Zone Change Channel Retention

Post by K6DSA » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:11 pm

First and foremost; I'm a newbie when it comes to OpenGD77 - I installed the beta version last weekend and must stay I'm immensely impressed with how the bells and whistles are laid out; a huge kudos to the development team, you've made the GD77 my favorite radio to use.

One question I have: is there a way to retain the previous channel when changing zones? Let's say I'm on channel 23 on Zone A, and I switch to Zone B, it always dumps me at channel 1, similarly, changing back from Zone B to Zone A resets me back to Channel 1.

VK3KYY

Re: Zone Change Channel Retention

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:25 pm

K6DSA wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:11 pm
First and foremost; I'm a newbie when it comes to OpenGD77 - I installed the beta version last weekend and must stay I'm immensely impressed with how the bells and whistles are laid out; a huge kudos to the development team, you've made the GD77 my favorite radio to use.

One question I have: is there a way to retain the previous channel when changing zones? Let's say I'm on channel 23 on Zone A, and I switch to Zone B, it always dumps me at channel 1, similarly, changing back from Zone B to Zone A resets me back to Channel 1.
The firmware tries to stay on the same channel index inside in the new zone, however when you have zones with different numbers of channels, then it can't do this if you selected a channel index in one zone which is more than the number of channels in the other zone.

It does not have a method to remember the channel number index you last selected in each zone, becuase there would be cases where this would cause more problems than it fixed, and we'd need to have a separate setting to define whether the radio tried to stay on the same index or went to the last remembered index. And there are already 43 options that control various things, each with multiple settings, plus all the quick menu settings etc

So adding more settings often confuses people and makes the firmware less usable not more usable