Radios banned in Switzerland

SA0BUX

Radios banned in Switzerland

Post by SA0BUX » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:20 am

Found a database with radios that are banned in Switzerland.

https://nkgdb.ofcomnet.ch/en

Many of our radios which supports OpenGD77 is listed.

But even Anytone 878UV+ is banned.

VK3KYY

Re: Radios banned in Switzerland

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:23 am

SA0BUX wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:20 am

I don't know about Switzerland, but there is an official website in Australia which lists all Baofeng radios as being banned, but this does not apply to Ham Radio operators, as the licensing for Ham Radio operators is different from normal members of the public

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:40 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:23 am
SA0BUX wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:20 am

I don't know about Switzerland, but there is an official website in Australia which lists all Baofeng radios as being banned, but this does not apply to Ham Radio operators, as the licensing for Ham Radio operators is different from normal members of the public
Yes, that is a bit unclear, I'll try to investigate more if it affect Amateurs too.

Here we are allowed to use non CE certified equipment but then it's our responsibility that the equipment is safe to use and don't interfere other users.

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:05 am

I never posted the answers I got from OFCOM in Switzerland:

Q: I found this list https://nkgdb.ofcomnet.ch/en and was wondering if it also affects amateur radio use ?
OFCOM Switzerland: Yes, it also affects amateur radio use.

The equipment (ANYTONE AT-D878UV PLUS) is intended by the manufacturer for operation as PMR as well as amateur radio equipment. This can be seen in particular from the manual and the associated declaration of conformity. In it, the manufacturer declares that the equipment conforms to the applicable standards for PMR equipment as well as for amateur radio equipment. In the context of the examination by OFCOM, a limit value in the applicable standard for PMR was found to be exceeded. Therefore, this equipment is not conform and a sales ban was imposed.
All equipment declared as non-compliant by OFCOM and published on the list of non-compliant equipment may not be operated, not even by radio amateurs.
Q: I noticed that Anytone 878U+ was on the list and that radio is used a lot in the amateur radio community.
What could happen if a CEPT amateur visits Switzerland and have his radio with and maybe also use it on Swizz amateur repeaters ?
OFCOM Switzerland: It is not allowed.

All equipment declared as non-compliant by OFCOM and published on the list of non-compliant equipment may not be operated, not even by radio amateurs.

OE1MWW

Post by OE1MWW » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:15 am

SA0BUX wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:05 am

I did not find this sentence in your linked paper?

AFIK, Amateur Radio operators can built their own equipment and use anything, as long, as it does not
interfere other services, is used according to the license of the operator etc.

The big difference to this: selling this equipment and bringing it to the market as a local company - this could
be restricted by regulations. Simply for the reason the everage user expects a technical conform operating
device and has no clue what 2nd harmonic will do ;-) But you, as a Ham Operator, importing from China, have
to obey all requirements (?) with such equipment.

73's de OE1MWW
Wolfgang

P.S. a real story, happened in Vienna / Austria: several years ago, a big electronic market chain sold USB sticks
with an FM TX in it. TX power was according to approval some uW (microWatt), but rumors had it, they are in
the mW (milliWatt) range - way to high. Authorties bought one, tested it and two of the Gov. guys got the order
to go to the store to 'confiscate the whole shelf' ;-)

As they showed their government ID and bunch of papers at the cashier, the lady insisted - they have to pay each
and every device - no way around to leave the store! Store manager was called - he insisted on payment too! Police
had to be called, they recognized the ID of the two guys, tried to understand, but had no clue what to do, never
had such an situation. Took a whole afternoon to leave with the 'confiscated' equipemet, without paying.

In my opinion, for Radio Amateurs - the OFCOM list is a 'toothless paper tiger'.

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:17 pm

OE1MWW wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:15 am
SA0BUX wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:05 am

I did not find this sentence in your linked paper?

AFIK, Amateur Radio operators can built their own equipment and use anything, as long, as it does not
interfere other services, is used according to the license of the operator etc.

The big difference to this: selling this equipment and bringing it to the market as a local company - this could
be restricted by regulations. Simply for the reason the everage user expects a technical conform operating
device and has no clue what 2nd harmonic will do ;-) But you, as a Ham Operator, importing from China, have
to obey all requirements (?) with such equipment.

73's de OE1MWW
Wolfgang

P.S. a real story, happened in Vienna / Austria: several years ago, a big electronic market chain sold USB sticks
with an FM TX in it. TX power was according to approval some uW (microWatt), but rumors had it, they are in
the mW (milliWatt) range - way to high. Authorties bought one, tested it and two of the Gov. guys got the order
to go to the store to 'confiscate the whole shelf' ;-)

As they showed their government ID and bunch of papers at the cashier, the lady insisted - they have to pay each
and every device - no way around to leave the store! Store manager was called - he insisted on payment too! Police
had to be called, they recognized the ID of the two guys, tried to understand, but had no clue what to do, never
had such an situation. Took a whole afternoon to leave with the 'confiscated' equipemet, without paying.

In my opinion, for Radio Amateurs - the OFCOM list is a 'toothless paper tiger'.
Those where the answers from OFCOM, I asked them especially due to that different rules may be applicable for radio amateur's.

I have no plans to visit Switzerland but I would take another radio with if I did.

Yes, most countries allow amateurs to build there own equipment and use equipment that is not approved ( like CE or FCC approved )
and we have to verify that the equipment comply etc.
But do you think that most amateurs do that or have the equipment needed ?

And if you buy a radio that has both CE and/or FCC approval, do you test that one anyway ?

Btw Switzerland is not EU so the CE mark has no meaning there.

The Anytone 878 would probably be OK if it has been sold as a amateur radio only, problem here was that they sold it as for Ham or PMR use.