Convert RT3s (No GPS) to GPS. Possible?

G4UFS

Convert RT3s (No GPS) to GPS. Possible?

Post by G4UFS » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:58 pm

Hi,

I read in one of the topics that it is possible to upgrade the GPS in the RT3s GPS version but does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade a non-GPS RT3s to a GPS using the same method?

Regards
Dave
G4UFS

VK3KYY

Re: Convert RT3s (No GPS) to GPS. Possible?

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:57 pm

G4UFS wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:58 pm
Hi,

I read in one of the topics that it is possible to upgrade the GPS in the RT3s GPS version but does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade a non-GPS RT3s to a GPS using the same method?

Regards
Dave
G4UFS
Yes.

It's relatively easy to fit a GPS into the RT-3S.

There will be an unpopulated component on the front panel PCB and you would need to solder a replacement module in that location, or on flying leads.

I don't know if the GPS power control transistors are also not fitted, you would need to open you radio and have a look

G4UFS

Post by G4UFS » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:32 pm

Thanks!

I assume the radio detects the NMEA and then allows the GPS functionality? The board looks to be populated with everything that the GPS version has with the exception of the GPS receiver, a couple of components on the receiver RF input which might be amplifier or filter (or both) and the GPS antenna. The addition of a GPS on flying leads looks straightforward but the location inside the case looks tight. That said, I see others have achieved it so I’ll have a go :)

Thanks again
Dave
G4UFS

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:25 am

G4UFS wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:32 pm
Thanks!

I assume the radio detects the NMEA and then allows the GPS functionality? The board looks to be populated with everything that the GPS version has with the exception of the GPS receiver, a couple of components on the receiver RF input which might be amplifier or filter (or both) and the GPS antenna. The addition of a GPS on flying leads looks straightforward but the location inside the case looks tight. That said, I see others have achieved it so I’ll have a go :)

Thanks again
Dave
G4UFS
Yes. The firmware enables power to the GPS and then detects NMEA.