Proposed changes to the Australian Amateur Radio license

VK3KYY

Re: Proposed changes to the Australian Amateur Radio license

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:17 pm

ve7mdt wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:51 pm
I have noticed this while watching some YouTube videos, but I didn't get to learn of the details (as I don't live in Australia).

Here in Canada, they have removed the annual licence fee (was $24/year then) about 20 years ago, but didn't change a whole lot more. A new ham can get certified (the licence is implied but technically removed), and a first callsign for free, and it's good for life. Only additional callsign will cost a flat fee of $60. (plus tax), and it's also good for life.

Our regulatory body (now called ISED) doesn't really do much at all, but at least they let us play. We thought they were bad enough, now I guess we should consider ourselves lucky.

Hope the outcome in Australia is not going to be very bad. It sounds kinda crazy!
The proposed changes had a large number of potential consequences, including the right to use home made or modified equipment, and also potentially the reregistration of all Australian hams from all digital IDs including the DMR ID because the licencing authority would no longer be the national radio regulation government department.

The proposal has been objected to by all Hams in AU, but the government has a history of cost cutting, and may ignore the objections :-(