Official firmware Radioddity GD77 jumping to TG1

G7OJA

Official firmware Radioddity GD77 jumping to TG1

Post by G7OJA » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:31 am

Apologies if this waffles on a bit - am trying to diagnose/fix an issue for a friend, and I'm not familiar with GD77 radios nor the software (I'm AT878/TYT-MD380 user normally):

Two GD77 H/helds are exhibiting the same issue. Both have been re-flashed to f/w 4.3.9 and a new codeplug also been written from scratch, but problem persists:

When you select a zone and picked a talkgroup from contacts list, you can TX/RX okay, but after a few seconds, the radio 'jumps' to TG1, for no apparent reason. There's no scanning in use and no TX on TG1 from the hotspot that might cause the radio to switch to it. If you re-select the TG you want (or any other for that matter), it then does the same thing.

We've both been through the codeplugs (original and newly written) very carefully and can't see anything that might cause this.

Not seen any other posts here (nor on the Facebook GD77 group) about this issue.

Am very open to people's thoughts/comments about what the problem might be.

(Also to note that the chap also has an Alinco DMR H/held and that works fine)

Thanks in advance,
Paul / G7OJA

ok1pt

Re: Radioddity GD77 jumping to TG1

Post by ok1pt » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:51 am

Hi!
Version 4.3.9 ? It looks that you are talking about the official firmware, right ?
This site is dedicated to the OpenGD77 alternative firmware, which uses different release naming. Because it's a totally different firmware written from scratch (excluding AMBE codec implementation borrowed from the official one), nobody here probably knows caveats or bugs of the official firmware, so it's unlikely you get help there.
With regards / 73
Pavel OK1PT

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:02 am

This forum is for the alternative firmware OpenGD77 so questions about the official firmware may not get many answers.

From memory I do not think the original GD77 firmware allows selection of talkgroups from the contact list. Or if it does I think it would behave as you are describing.

Selecting from the contact list was designed to allow private calls to be made to an individual radio. Only a few seconds is allowed for the called radio to reply and then the GD77 reverts back to the programmed contact. This behaviour is quite normal for a commercial DMR radio.

I suspect that this is what you are seeing. The radio is reverting to the programmed contact TG1.

OpenGD77 was written precisely for the reason that the official firmware is not ideal for amateur radio use. One of the first things that was implemented was the ability to choose the talkgroup on a channel.

Colin G4EML

G7OJA

Post by G7OJA » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:53 am

Well thank you indeed Colin - I'll see if we can't go switch firmware over to the opendg77 version in that case (on one radio to start with), re-do a new codeplug to suit and see how that goes.

Yes, I suspect what you describe with regards it switching back to an original programmed TG1 is going to be correct!

Really appreciate the fast response!

73's
Paul

G7OJA

Post by G7OJA » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:55 am

Thanks also to Pavel, OK1PT for the quick reply.

As per my other reply to Colin - I'll go see if we can switch to using the opengd77 firmware. From what I can see, it looks to be much better.

Kind regards and 73
Paul

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:19 pm

OpenGD77 allows you to select the TX talkgroup from what, in other radios, would be the RX Group List by just pressing the left and right arrows. Alternatively you can always enter the talkgroup number directly from the key pad by just pressing #.

Colin G4EML

G7OJA

Post by G7OJA » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:43 am

Thanks once more Colin. The other OM has gone off to read-up and download the opengd77 firmware and give it a try. (I'm also about to go take a look, so I can at least install the CPS and take a look at the setup of a 'clean' codeplug for him (or I might just download one of the ones listed on the forums to see the structrure, etc).

Very much appreciate your help.

73's Paul / G7OJA

G7OJA

Post by G7OJA » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:04 am

Quick update: Owner has now spoken to Jason at Radioddity UK, who very kindly talked owner through a "full" factory reset. Owner also wiped/rebuilt Windows on his PC and now, using Radioddity F/W 3.0.8, it's working as it should and this f/w version looks to be far more user friendly than previous versions.

Once again - thanks for all the help.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:55 am

Unless you need SMS, I don't know why you would want to use the official firmware.
The OoenGD77 is far better for Ham use, and has loads more Ham related functionalty