Quansheng UV-K5 w/ an active development scene

VK3KYY

Re: Quansheng UV-K5 w/ an active development scene

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:25 am

ok1pt wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:29 am
Hi!
I would like to ask the users of this radio: Is there a firmware which is capable of FM TX/RX on the "4M" (73-84MHz) band ? In my country (Czech Republic) this band is used commercially but there are some "shared channels", which don't need any licensing or registering to use them. Similar channels are allocated on "standard" bands like 160 or 450 MHz, but they are much more used because there is a lot of available radios. If it is possible to transmit, what's the achievable power and spectral purity ? Can it be used ? These shared channels are limited to 1W ERP so I don't need more, but I'm afraid of spurious emissions...
With regards / 73,
Pavel OK1PT
The spec for the RF chip includes 4M

https://github.com/amnemonic/Quansheng_ ... n/hardware

https://github.com/amnemonic/Quansheng_ ... t_V1.0.pdf
18 MHz ~ 660 MHz,
840 MHz ~1300 MHz
But this is only the RF chip.

You woud need to change the inductors and capacitors to make it work well on that frequency

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:51 am

Yes. Looks like the sub $15 ones are a scam.

Usually AliExpress is quite good about getting money back, but if I loose a bit, then I'll know to be more cautious next time

Actually, it looks like some GPS modules that Auspost claim were delivered were simply thrown in a bin my the contractor working for Auspost, and its going to be hard to prove to AliExpress that they should refund me the $15 for 2 GPS modules, since the tracking claims its been delivered.

I've had this once before, when a kind member of the public spotted a load of post packages dumped in a bin about 5km from my house and because there are phone numbers on most packages nowadays, they rang everyon who had lost a package and arranged for me to collect the parcel.

But in the recent case I suspect the GPS modules are in landfill by now

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:53 am

Does anyone know the power on button sequence to unlock the frequency rangd on the UV-K5.

I watched a YouTube video a couple of weeks ago, where a Ham in the USA described turning on the UV-K5 while holding down a number yet and possibly the PTT or one of the other buttons.
And this seemed to extend the operational frequency, depending on which number was pressed.

But as usual with YouTube, when I looked for that video again, I couldn't find it

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:03 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP4rau5fMtk

that maybe what you are looking for, however, i uploaded custom firmware and its brilliant
https://github.com/piotr022/UV_K5_playg ... ed_v65.bin

IU1KCQ

Post by IU1KCQ » Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:31 pm

The UVMod site

https://whosmatt.github.io/uvmod/

allows to create own customised firmware.

I've tried it and it's very easy to use.
Now I'm using a custom firmware with most of the available mods.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:06 pm

Thanks for the link.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:19 am

What do you mean by K5(8) is this a K6 ? with the orange screen

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:25 am

BTW.

I hoped to be able to use the official STM MCU API with the MCU in this radio, but looking in the data sheet, the DP32G030 far from an indentical clone of the STM32G030.
Both chips are ARM Cortex M0 and in the same physical package, but that seems to be the limit of the compatibility

The GPIO pins broken out to the package are different, the register base addresses are different. I've not looked to see if the GPIO pin control registers operate in the same way, or whether the other peripherals e.g. UART and I2C have similar register controls

And there is no information on the web about the DP32G030 apart from the datasheet / reference manual in one of the GitHub repos

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:57 am

Hi,
ve7mdt wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:35 am
And there might be a possibility to reach out to the manufacturer to see if they are willing to share some more info about their CPU?
Good luck with that :D

Cheers.
---
Daniel

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:08 am

ve7mdt wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:07 am
F1RMB wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:57 am
Hi,
ve7mdt wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:35 am
And there might be a possibility to reach out to the manufacturer to see if they are willing to share some more info about their CPU?
Good luck with that :D

Cheers.
---
Daniel
Yes, I know I am dreaming. I used to have contacts who had good connections to the electronics industry in China, but I haven't seen those friends in years so I don't want to bug them out of a sudden to ask for favours now.
Things have probably change in those years. Even the Chinese Hams can't seem to get any information from the manufacturers etc