Droid-Star open development

DU2XXR

Re: Droid-Star open development

Post by DU2XXR » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:59 am

Hi Doug,

Are you aware of the concerns raised by some BM admins about Droidstar and other smartphone apps in general?

It's in German, but I used Google Translate: http://bm262.de/dmr-programme-fuer-hand ... lde-links/ .

I just recently became aware of this, btw.
AD8DP wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:16 am

My name is Doug Mclain. I live in Detroit, MI USA. My callsign is AD8DP. I am a Libra. My name and callsign are in the about text of dudestar and droidstar. I don't know where you came up with this nonsense.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:34 pm

Translates to

DMR programs for mobile phones and PCs, wild links ...

Programs such as DROID-Star, DUDE-Star and the like are currently widely used in order to be able to transmit without a radio device. On the other hand, there is little objection to this when used as an occasional emergency nail. There is one problem with that, however. All of these applications use the MMDVM protocol, which was developed to connect HF access points. The Open DMR Terminal Protocol, which also supports additional services such as SMS, and the booking of TGs without having to “open” them, is intended for precisely this application of radio access via software.

Hence our request - encourage programmers to use the correct protocol. Clear announcement, we do not provide any support for such applications, if something does not work, then that's the way it is.

Furthermore, these programs log on to the network under a false name, the DVMega identifier is popular. This, too, is an absolute no-go, it undermines any troubleshooting if the applications do not even transmit a correct version string.

In general, it all looks a bit like a trick on, and therefore we definitely cannot recommend regular use from the point of view of reliable network operation. The audio quality is also often doubtful.

The same applies to the implementation of links to other systems. Here, too, the improper use of MMDVM instead of the OpenBridge protocol intended for it, here also logging on to the master under a false name, and then the unsettled connection of TGs makes things more difficult, with loops, faults, one-sided connections, etc.

If you want to connect TGs (especially extensive national / regional TGs!) To other systems, you have to discuss this with the master operator of the country responsible for the TG, and implement it using the latest technical standards, by no means using the MMDVM protocol. We reserve the right to switch off such connections without prior notice.

This urge for wild links always gives us the impression that we would like to have the traffic of the BM, but if you please in our own small island kingdom. But that's not how a global community works. With us everyone can participate, but then as a full-fledged part of the network, also give, not just take, not just cherry-picking via clandestine links. And understand that we are more inclined to disagree with links with “large” TGs and cluster mirror TGs, since in these situations small problems affect a large number of users. Just think of the loops that disrupt the world wide check-in almost every Saturday.

Thank you for your help and your understanding - a huge global network like BrandMeister can only function with consideration and care!

Ralph, dk5ras, for the BM262.de team.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:53 pm

I think BM and the other networks will soon be forced to use the license authentication that is required to get an Echolink account, and also require hotspots to login using a password liked to that stations ID

Currently anyone can download the App onto their mobile phone or PC etc, put in and DMR ID, and enter these RF networks without any validation.
This is a problem repeater operators, as they would be potentially breaching their operating license by retransmitting signals from an unlicensed operator.

Although this is the same as running a hotspot or BlueDV, the bar has been lowered, because no additional hardware is required, i.e everyone has a mobile phone, many people have a PC etc.

Locally we have a lot of problems with people jamming the FM repeaters, and there is currently nothing to stop them jamming the local repeater network, just by downloading an App onto their phone.

I think the problem for DMR MARC is much bigger than BM, because AFIK DMR MARC does not have the user account system which BM already has

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:12 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:53 pm
...and also require hotspots to login using a password linked to that stations ID
That should be the case already. Since 2021, all the Master Servers should be configured the way that default passwords don't work anymore and that every hotspot should have user configured password. Obviously, that is not the case. Maybe you should bother your Master Server SysOp... Maybe he/she is being lazy... :D

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:37 pm

YT5HOK wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:12 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:53 pm
...and also require hotspots to login using a password linked to that stations ID
That should be the case already. Since 2021, all the Master Servers should be configured the way that default passwords don't work anymore and that every hotspot should have user configured password. Obviously, that is not the case. Maybe you should bother your Master Server SysOp... Maybe he/she is being lazy... :D
My local DMR MARC network uses the same password for all hotspots.

Are you sure BM requires all users to register with and get a hotspot password ?

M0XSI

Post by M0XSI » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:26 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:37 pm
Are you sure BM requires all users to register with and get a hotspot password ?
Only the USA Masters enforce hotspot security. but it's available to anyone who wants to use it.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:55 am

AFIK BM don't request a image etc of your license like EchoLink does.

I'm not sure if BM's account authentication is anything more than sending a validation email to the address given by the person making the application.

With these Apps, do you need to enter a password to connect to the network?

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:37 am

BM doesn't check licenses, ham.digital.org did and radioid.net, now only radioid.net. DMR IDs are passed to BM with callsigns. At that moment user can use BM (passes through network). User has the option to create account on BM, but it's obviously now mandatory, for just using repeaters to communicate.

So, there is no option that un-licensed person uses BM. Well, one can try to counterfeit documents for license validation, but we are not going there now.

For the hotspot passwords, they are enforced on American servers, that is for sure, but also at least some, if not many, in Europe do it too. For sure, that is a way of moving forward concerning BM network security.

Cheers!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:59 am

YT5HOK wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:37 am
So, there is no option that un-licensed person uses BM. Well, one can try to counterfeit documents for license validation, but we are not going there now.
Can't anyone just set up the App using any DMR ID that's already been allocated?
i.e This can be anyone's ID.

LY1RF

Post by LY1RF » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:06 am

app requires the same setup as hotspot - call sign, dmr id, BM password , etc ...